He graduated as Medicine Doctor, at Università degli Studi di Pavia, Italy in 1990; he received the Specialization in Infectious Diseases in 1995 at Università degli Studi di Pavia and the Specialization in Microbiology and Virology in 2004 at Università degli Studi di Padova.
He is the Head of the Molecular Virology Unit, at the Virology and Microbiology Dpt., Fondazione IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo, Pavia; he is Professor of Microbiology and Clinical Microbiology, at the University of Pavia; he is also Director of the Microbiology and Virology Specialization School, at the University of Pavia.
He is Professor of Clinical Virology at the Infectious Diseases Specialization School, at the Gastroenterology Specialization School, and at the Pathology Specialization School, at the University of Pavia.
He is Co-author of 310 papers published on international scientific journals indexed in Medline and Scopus and Co-author of more than 500 presentations (oral and poster) at Italian and International Congresses (h-index 50 (from Scopus)).
His major scientific interests are related to:
- the development and validation of molecular tools for diagnosis and monitoring of viral infections;
- study of mechanisms of resistance to antiviral drugs (HCMV, HIV, HBV, influenza A);
- study of pathogenesis of virus infection in immunocompetent and immunocompromised hosts (HCMV, EBV, HIV, HCV, HBV, Adenovirus, Polyomaviruses, respiratory virus, enterovirus);
- diagnosis and treatment of opportunistic infections in transplant recipients;
- study of virus evolution and quasispecies development, Surveillance of emerging and reemerging virus infections.