About Stresa - How to get to the conference
About Stresa and how to reach the place
Stresa with 5000 inhabitants, 200 m above sea level, is one of the main tourist resorts in the Italian part of the Lake Maggiore, the second largest lake in Italy, situated in the north west and crossing the border into Switzerland (view in GoogleMaps).
Stresa is situated in an ideal position on the shores of the Borromean Gulf, and overlooks the unique Isola Bella (view in GoogleMaps).
Visiting Stresa today it is hard to believe it was once a tiny fishing hamlet (recorded for the first time in 998AD) occupying a narrow strip of land only accessible by a dusty old roman road. Yet it is from this narrow strip of land on the lakeside where Stresa got its name; its ancient name Strixia is thought to come from the Lombard word “strich” which means strip of land. Even today in Stresa dialect the word “strecia” means “strettoia” or narrow passage.
For any information about Stresa, please visit the following web links: https://www.visitstresa.com/About_Stresa.htm and https://www.stresaturismo.it/en
HOW TO GET TO STRESA
It will be organized a conference bus ONLY on:
Monday, March 29th at 12.30 from the Milano Malpensa Airport to the hotel La Palma in Stresa
Thursday, April 1st at 14.30 from the hotel La Palma in Stresa to Milano Malpensa Airport
The transfer will last at least 45 min or more depending on the traffic.
In any case, we suggest you to be picked up at the hotel at least 2h and 30 minutes before your flight from Milano Malpensa Airport otherwise 3h and 30 minutes if your flight is from Milano Linate Airport.
If you will not be able to take advantage of the conference-organized bus, you may follow the following indications.
Private transfer from Milano Malpensa Airport and viceversa
Please write directly to book your transfer at the BORRONI Events Stresa (www.borronievents.it): firstname.lastname@example.org indicating "Italy Conference 2021" in the object of the e-mail.
From Milan to Stresa
- By car (1h20m, 90 km). Take the A8 motorway towards Laghi-Sesto Calende-Varese, then the A26 motorway towards Gravellona Toce to the Carpugnino exit. At Carpugnino follow the signs for Stresa.
- By train* (1h-1h30m, 5-14€). There are 21 trains a day from the two stations in Milan which stop at Stresa. From Milan's Porta Garibaldi station, take one of the 10 regional trains heading for Domodossola (1h30m, 5€). From Milan's Centrale station, take one of the 6 regional trains heading for Domodossola (1h10m, 5€) or one of the 5 international trains heading for Geneva/Basle** (55m, 14€).
- By bus (1h15m). From Lampugnano underground station, 2 buses a day go to Stresa.
From Milan's airports to Stresa
- Stresa is 45 km from Milan Malpensa (MXP), 110 km from Milan Linate (LIN) and 130 km from Milan Bergamo (BGY).
From Milan Malpensa to Stresa
- By train* (1h30m, 4€). There are 8 daily connections to Stresa, but you will need to change trains en route. From the airport's Terminal 1 take the Malpensa Express and get off at Busto Arsizio RFI***. Then take the train going to Domodossola.
- By car (50m, 50km). Follow the signs for the A26 Genoa - Gravellona Toce motorway. Take the A26 motorway in the direction of Gravellona Toce. Keep heading towards Gravellona Toce until the Carpugnino exit. At Carpugnino follow the signs for Stresa.
- By taxi (50m, 100-150€). The price varies according to the day and time.
- By bus (50m, 9€). From April to September take the Alibus shuttle for Stresa. The service has a timetable (6 journeys a day), but you need to book the day before.
From Milan Linate to Stresa
- Take the shuttle for Milan's Centrale station (25m, 4€) and carry on by train.
From Milan Orio al Serio to Stresa
- Take the shuttle for Milan's Centrale station (1h, 10€) and carry on by train.
From Switzerland to Stresa
- Enter Italy on the Brig-Simplon (Sempione) or Gotthard-Locarno roads. From Brig (1h30m, 100km) head towards Milan, join the A26 motorway and exit at Baveno-Stresa. From Locarno (1h10m, 55km) go through Cannobio, then Verbania and on to Stresa.
* Tickets must be bought and validated before boarding the train. There are no discounts for advance purchases or for return tickets. At Stresa the station is near the lakeside and the town centre (5 minutes on foot).
** Some international trains to Switzerland do not stop at Stresa: check before leaving. Booking is necessary for international trains.
*** NOTE: do not get off at Busto Arsizio (2nd stop) but at Busto Arsizio RFI (3rd stop).